Saturday, August 21, 2010

Joseph Campbell, Myths to Live by

After being convinced that Joseph Campbell (1904-1987) had something to say that was important to a person looking unlock secrets of mankind and health. I bought three of his books and was rewarded with another body of knowledge to help me be my own doctor. After spending a lifetime researching and writing Campbell left a phenomenal legacy. I found a soul mate through his words and his keynote phrase "Follow your bliss" convinced me to Follow My Bliss".
I began following Campbell after watching him along with Bill Moyers on The Power of Myth series on television in 1990. His knowledge concerning mythological, religious, and psychological archetypes struck a strong chord in my psyche. My picks:
o The Power of Myth (1991)
o Hero's Journey (1990)
o Myths to Live By (1993)
Campbell wrote and collaborated on more than 30 books, 4 interview books, 16 audio tapes and 7 video/DVDs
Campbell reflected on the writings of Carl Jung (as do I) a belief we share is that spirituality is a search for the same basic unknown force from where everything comes from and returns to. This force cannot be expressed in words therefore is expressed through the use of "metaphors" that mask the deepest expression of the spirit.
Campbell's goals included demonstrating that underneath the metaphor a common spiritual truth threads run through all of mankind and all religion. Campbell's thinking followed:
o James Frazer (The Golden Bough)
o Adolph Bastian & Otto Rank (The Myth of the Birth of the Hero)
o Lee Fresenius (Cultural history)
o Oswald Spengler (The Decline of the West)
o Carl Jung's works
o Heinrich Zimmer (The Bardo Thodol)
o James Joyce
o Thomas Mann
o Pablo Picasso
o Arthur Schopenhauer and Friedrich Nietzsche
Earlier in 1924 Campbell met Jiddu Krishnamurti who influenced his interest in Hindu and Indian thought. His study of cultures from around the world helped inform Americans on how to act in various countries teaching courses at the US state department Foreign Service Institute. He spent the rest of his life writing, speaking on the world of myth and religion. He was a credit to America and I appreciate his wisdom.
• My biggest FEAR in life is becoming dependent.
• The idea of depending on my boss, a medical doctor, expensive insurance or the government for my health care does not feel right.
Are there Solutions?
The answer is YES

No comments:

Post a Comment